*ALL stats are from 2014-15 season.
Boston was showing interest in Iginla during the 2012-2013 season. In that same season, however, Jarome Iginla was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for the 29th overall pick (Morgan Klimchuk), Kenny Agostino and Ben Hanowski. What could’ve the Flames gotten if they traded Iginla two or three years earlier? In the 2010-11 season, Jarome had 43 goals and 86 points. Would Boston trade their 9th overall pick (Dougie Hamilton) for Jarome Iginla? Or could they have traded former second overall pick Tyler Seguin? We all know Peter Chiarelli isn’t afraid to make blockbuster trades like this one if it ever happened.
Let’s start with the first scenario. If Boston did trade Calgary the ninth overall pick, who else could have they chosen other than Dougie Hamilton? They could’ve chosen their original pick (Sven Baertschi) LW, or chosen Jonas Brodin, D; J.T. Miller, LW; Brandon Saad, LW; Nikita Kucherov, RW; or Tomas Jurco, RW.
- Sven Baertschi was traded for a second round pick in the 2014-15 season and has very little NHL experience.
- Jonas Brodin: 3 goals, 14 assists, 71 games played (10th Overall pick)
- J.T. Miller: 10 goals, 13 assists, 58 games played (15th Overall pick)
- Brandon Saad: 23 goals, 29 assists, 82 games played (43rd Overall pick)
- Nikita Kucherov: 29 goals, 36 assists, 82 games played (58th Overall pick)
- Tomas Jurco: 3 goals, 15 assists, 63 games (35th Overall pick)
- Dougie Hamilton: 10 goals, 32 assists, 72 games (9th overall pick)
The Flames wouldn’t have to give up their first round pick in 2015 if they drafted Hamilton, so who would they choose with the 15th overall pick?
“With the 15th overall pick, the Calgary Flames are proud to select from the Youngstown Phantoms, Kyle Connor.”
(Originally selected by the Winnipeg Jets at #17)
Can you Imagine that?
Kyle Connor: 34 goals, 46 assists 56 games played (USHL) 2014-15
*Note: They would also retain the two second round picks (45, 52)
Now on to the second scenario. Would the Bruins trade Seguin, their second overall pick in the 2011 draft? In Seguin’s rookie year, he had 11 goals and 11 assists in 74 games played. If this trade happened, I can imagine Calgary throwing in somebody like Rene Bourque or Robyn Reghyr.